Monday, February 8, 2010

The HAND!!!!

Greetings,

I was talking to the students at school and they asked about the 'hand' in the stained glass window.  Since most didn't know where the hand was I gave them the assignment to find the 'hand' in the window when they go to Mass at the weekend.   I had a couple of students find the hand in the window.  The 'hand' in the bottom right hand corner of the Last Judgement window(This would be on Jesus' left side).  Here is the Last Judgement Window.   It is based on multiple parables.  Over all it is based on Matthew 25:31-46.  Jesus is the judge and divides the people like a shepherd.  On the right are those going to heaven.  On the left are those going to hell.  Some day I will explain the 'going to heaven' segments of the window.


In regards to the people on the left Jesus said:   "'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' "   Here is the section with "The Hand"


As you will notice 'the Hand' is coming out of the fire to pull the person down into hell.   We do not like to think of hell, but it is a very real possibility for every person.  Notice that the person is reaching out to the hand.  This means that we are the one's who choose sin, and choose against God.  We have freewill to choose Satan over God.  The other people in the picture are looking at their money, jewels, a vanity mirror, all which symbolize the vices.  The theme of Art of leading people to hell as part of the Matthew 25 story is VERY popular in Christian art.   Here are some examples of people being led to hell from the doors of various Cathedrals.





                                                



One thing I would like to point out: In some of the pictures the people being led into hell are Bishops and Kings. This is to show that our power in the world will NOT save us. Only a life of grace in Jesus Christ will save us. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. No one goes to the Father except through him.

When you see 'the Hand' remember, that is what it will be like without GOD. Then look at Jesus' right side of the window and see the people being led to heaven. Matthew 25:34-36 "'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment