Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Do you REALLY believe in God: A Test

Greetings,

Here is a test whether you really believe in God.   Do you genuflect in Church when there is NOBODY around to see?

I didn't say it was a profound or exciting test, but it makes you think a little.  Do I genuflect in Church because it is expected of me and I want other people to see it, OR do I genuflect in Church because I am in the AWESOME presence of God, and I want fall on my knees in the divine presence?   If it is out of expectation, then we may not do it if others don't see.  However, if it is for God, then we will always genuflect whether there are people or not.

RELATED TO THIS:   In my last parish, there were angels carved on the inside of the tabernacle.  Upon seeing this a server asked:    Why would you decorate the INSIDE of a tabernacle, nobody ever sees it?

That leads me to ask:   Do we decorate the Church only for us to see it, or for us to learn from it, or do we decorate Church for God, and God deserves our best.   We decorate the inside of a tabernacle because we love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength and we use art to show how much we really care about someone or something.

If beauty in Church were only for us then decorating the inside of the tabernacle does not make sense.  If God is our goal in worship, then the inside of the tabernacle would be one of the most beautiful places in Church.    This leaves us with the question:   Is church about us or about God?

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment