Friday, January 15, 2010

Father, Whats in the Choir loft?

Greetings,

Someone recently asked me why I always look at the choir loft when I am praying.  Unsure what they meant, I questioned a little further.  I realized that they were refering to the Eucharistic Prayer.  As I pray I am looking over the heads of the congregation, and apparently it looks like I am staring at the choir loft.  The person was wondering why I wasn't making eye contact with the congregation.  They reminded me that good speakers make eye contact.

I thought this was an excellent conversation because it helps to shed light on what is really happening at the Liturgy.  During the Eucharistic Prayer I am not speaking to the congregation.  During the Eucharistic prayer the priest is speaking to God.  The priest should not be making eye contact with the congregation because he is not speaking to them and should not pretend to be speaking to them.  In fact the entire prayer is directed TO the Father, THROUGH the Son, and IN the Holy Spirit.  God is central, not the priest, and not the congregation.

Before the Second Vatican Council the priest and the congregation both faced in the same direction in prayer, so the congregation was very aware that the priest was not speaking to them, but rather to God.  After the Second Vatican Council many of the bishops thought that it was very important for the congregation to see the bread and the wine on the altar and then see the consecration of the elements.  This put the priest on the other side of the altar facing the people.  So where should the priest be looking?  Some people think that a small free standing crucifix should be placed on the altar, and as the priest prays he can face the crucifix to keep focused on God.   Others think that simply looking up is good enough(which leads to questions about the choir loft).   The one thing the priest shouldn't be doing is making eye contact with the people.

As far as where they priest is looking?  -- It is still up for discussion.  By the way, to answer your question, there is an organ in the choir loft.

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment