Thursday, April 1, 2010

Holy Thursday 17 years ago

17 years ago I had the privilege to  spend Holy Week in Jerusalem.  We celebrated the Mass of the Lord's Supper near the Cenacle where Jesus would have had that Last Supper almost 2000 years ago.   What was even more power than that was what happened next.

We went to the Mount of Olives to pray.   The site where Jesus would have prayed is now a church.  It is the church of "All Nations".   It is a very beautiful 20th century church.


 As I entered the church I looked around and it was full of people, but there was not a single sound.   People were gathered at the stone where Jesus would have prayed in the garden.  This is the place where he would have sweat blood, and prayed to his father to take the cup from him, but out of PERFECT obedience to the Father accepted his mission.



I prayed a long time that night.  I didn't want to leave.   Was in the place where Jesus prayed.  I was in the Place where Jesus was arrested.  I was in the place where the disciples fled.   I was left asking myself:   Would I flee today?



Tonight we are given that same challenge.  WE are called to wash each other's feet.  We are called to spend that one hour with Jesus.   We are invited to LOVE.   How do we respond.

Here is a video about the church:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR7MEUm9Sno&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment