Monday, December 21, 2009

Help I'm locked in the confessional!!!!

We have a very standard confessional here at Holy Cross Parish.  It is a small room.  You walk in, close the door, and kneel by the screen.  The only problem is that the door knob does NOT turn.   When you leave the confessional you stand up and just push the door open.  All the regular confessors know how to use the door.  However, if someone does not go to confession often, they will grasp the door knob, and try to turn it.  When the knob does not turn I get their "Father, I am stuck".  "The door does not work".   These are very common.  Almost everyone goes through this at least once in the confessional. 

Every now and again, there will be a panicked half yell  "Help I'm stuck in here".  I will just say push, and I will hear the door open.  Since it is Advent, and I have been heard hundreds of confessions, and this happens over and over and over.  I thought I would mention it.  Why????

1.  So if you go to confession and the door does not open, you will not panic.

2.  I wanted an excuse to talk about the Sacrament of Penance so that I could encourage everyone to receive the sacrament before Christmas:    OKAY everyone:   Its time to go to confession.   If there are no longer scheduled times, then give your priest a call.

3.  I also wanted to show that writing on a blog is more informal than a bulletin article.  I would never have written about getting locked in the confessional in my article.

4.  Lastly, because whenever happens I get a little chuckle.  After 2 hours in a confessional a person tries to find humor in anything.

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment